Sam: This is it.
Frodo: This is what?
Sam: If take one more step, it'll be the farthest away from home I've ever been.
Frodo: Come on Sam. Remember what Bilbo used to say, "It's a dangerous business Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to."

Monday, April 7, 2014

A world away

It's hard to believe that I left Michigan less than a week ago! I am literally and figuratively a world away.

I have stuck to my itinerary as planned so I am in Pokhara now. The key attraction of Pokhara is the Annapurna mountain range. But I have yet to see because it's been cloudy and smoggy. I am not sure if I will see it at all given the forecast for the next couple days. I will be disappointed if I don't, to be honest.
No sign of the mountains

Pokhara is more relaxing for me because everything for tourists is in one place. Traveling is stressful for me so it's nice to have everything here in one place, the supermarket, restaurants, hotels all within walking distance. This tourist drag is called Lakeside, along Phewa Lake. The entire street is souvenir shops, restaurants, trekking shops, and hotels.


My hotel is Hotel Travel-Inn

The downside is that I am overpaying. A soda at the supermarket costs $1-2! That's the same price as in the US! Meals costs about $3-5. Yes, I really am complaining about paying for $5 for dinner.That is cheap for restaurant service but I have eaten for cheaper when I cook my own food at a hostel in western Europe.

I still wish I could eat supermarket Spanish tortillas my friend Rachelle introduced me to four years ago. Rachelle also cooked up a delicious scrambled eggs with red pepper at a hostel in Istanbul. That same trip we also had some supermarket stewed eggplant with yogurt. Seriously, those were my most memorable travel meals...

1 dollar = 98 Nepali Rupees, in my head I round to 1 dollar = 100 Rupees
Coke for $1.60
More tourist-related things.
Also a large number of shops for Chinese tourists.
More hotels and shops.
Nepali New Year is April 14

No comments:

Post a Comment