Sam: This is it.
Frodo: This is what?
Sam: If take one more step, it'll be the farthest away from home I've ever been.
Frodo: Come on Sam. Remember what Bilbo used to say, "It's a dangerous business Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to."

Monday, April 14, 2014

Day 1 part one: leaving Kathmandu

This is a post dated entry. I'm currently on Day 4 of my trek in the village called Khumjung. There is wifi at the lodge though you have to pay and it's not cheap. 


Day 1 part one: How I finally left Kathmandu. 

The first day of my trek was one of emotional and geographic highs and lows, starting in the morning in Kathmandu and hurrying into a tea house in Phakding (8661ft 2640m) just before nightfall. 

I slept poorly the night before because friends and bloggers had written nightmarish accounts of being stranded in Kathmandu airport as their flight to Lukla got cancelled. Already a girl I met on the plane last week had to charter a helicopter to Lukla. But when I woke up I felt optimistic because the sky was clear in Kathmandu and the forecast for Lukla was also clear. 

The domestic terminal at KTM airport was even more crowded and disorganized than the international terminal, though I had come to expect a baseline level of chaos in Nepal. But finally trek mate and I got our boarding passes, which don't even have our names printed, just the flight number written in sharpie pen. 

The high of the day came when we boarded the plane and started down the runway. I was excited that our plane was getting out and that we were beginning our trek. 

The first low came as we were about halfway down the runway. We felt the plane slow to a stop. The pilot turned around and informed us that it was too windy  in Lukla. Our flight was delayed until 3 or 4 I was afraid of clouds but I hadn't anticipated winds! I was crushes because I thought my nightmare was coming true.  

while we waited at KTM from about 10:30am trek mate and I Trek mate and I met the other people on our flight while we were waiting, about 15 Trekkers and three guides. We chatted with three Danes and one had studied at Aarhus! Trekmate and I made plan B to book another hotel in Kathmandu. But At 2:30 suddenly an airport employee rushed over and told us we were going now! She beckoned us out out to the Tarmac again. I was just about to go to the bathroom but I didn't have time! One passenger didn't even have time to finish his meal. 

Within 20 minutes we were airborne toward the most dangerous airport in the world in a twin otter propeller plane and me with a full bladder.

Part two: running toward Phakding on peanut butter straight from the jar. 

No comments:

Post a Comment