Sam: This is it.
Frodo: This is what?
Sam: If take one more step, it'll be the farthest away from home I've ever been.
Frodo: Come on Sam. Remember what Bilbo used to say, "It's a dangerous business Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to."

Thursday, April 24, 2014

Day 12 part 2: My Everest Marathon


The Everest Marathon is an annual event at the end of May, the end of the expedition season. It starts at EBC and goes to Namche with a loop to Thamo to make it marathon length. 

Day 11 all the way till the end of day 12 was my Everest marathon. Most days 4 hours of walking was as much as we did in a whole day. But trekmate and I had to descend down to Periche during the afternoon too. Day 11 had about 6 hours of walking and Day 12 8, not including meal and snack breaks. It was dizzying to think that Day 12 maximum altitude was 5545m and we finished 4210m, a descend of more than 1300m! 

After I had come down from EBC, I met trekkers ascending in the teahouses and they kept asking me if the view of Everest from Kala Pattar was amazing. It was. It was the best view of Everest I had had one my whole trek. See, despite the name of this trek, there are only a few points in the route when Everest is visible. Most of the time it is hidden behind Nuptse and Lhotse, two other Himalayan peaks. But I am not disappointed at all because everyday I saw so many snowy peaks and everyday I challenged my body to literal new heights. Everest almost became an afterthought. As trite as the expression is, EBC trek was really the completion of a process and not only seeing Everest. It was seeing Everest knowing that I had taken myself the whole way there and back again.  

I did this trek because I wanted a physical challenge. It proved to be one in both ways I anticipated (hiking at altitude) and ways I hadn't (cold!). I am tremendously proud of myself. Even if it had been totally cloudy on Kala Pattar that morning and I hadn't seen Everest at all, I still would feel the same sense of accomplishment.  

No comments:

Post a Comment