Sam: This is it.
Frodo: This is what?
Sam: If take one more step, it'll be the farthest away from home I've ever been.
Frodo: Come on Sam. Remember what Bilbo used to say, "It's a dangerous business Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to."

Friday, April 25, 2014

Day 14: Never did boiled vegetables taste so good.

Day 14 Tengboche - Namche

What a joyous return to Namche! I feel like a different person. I have seen Mt. Everest and EBC. I have challenged myself to climb to 5545m (18,200ft). 

What a difference two weeks makes for Namche too. The town looks transformed from winter to spring. The first time we were there it snowed. We shivered in our sleeping bags at night. This morning it was sunny and hot as we approached Namche. I wore the thinnest long sleeve shirt I had. Tiny purple irises and pink rhododendrons bloomed in the lower elevations near Namche while we were up high. 

We are staying in the same teahouse we did when we were in Namche heading up. This made me particularly excited because this teahouse has "boiled vegetable" on the menu. And potato isn't included in this dish. The last time I stayed there I got a big plate of bok Choy, carrots, cauliflower, and cabbage!! These (and garlic and onion) are the only vegetables in Khumbu but that's good enough for me because of how few of any vegetables I have eaten the last two weeks. This time I got boiled vegetable again and it was even more delicious than two weeks ago. 

I have been craving vegetables this entire trek. Vegetables get more and more scarce up high so I have been eating a heavy starch diet like noodles, rice, and bread. Even the dishes that have vegetable in the name, like vegetable fried rice have the tiniest diced carrot and bits of bok choy. 

Everything about Namche this time  was pleasant. I'm ready to continue descending to Lukla tomorrow, the city from which I fly back to Kathmandu.  

No comments:

Post a Comment