Sam: This is it.
Frodo: This is what?
Sam: If take one more step, it'll be the farthest away from home I've ever been.
Frodo: Come on Sam. Remember what Bilbo used to say, "It's a dangerous business Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to."

Friday, April 25, 2014

Day 15: Familiar faces at end of the trek

Day 15 
Namche - Lukla

We had a monster 8 hour day today descending from Namche to Lukla. It was literally 7 hours of walking with about an hour for lunch and bathroom breaks. But trekmate and I were both ready to end our trek so we planned for the long day to Lukla where we fly out the next morning. 

Trekmate and I took photos at the gate that marks the boundary of Lukla to mark our triumphant completion of the trek. 

I love that on this trip I met some cool people who I kept bumping into along the trek. Here are a few memorable ones:
- "dreadlocks guy with Wutang hat". He was in a Russian-speaking trek group and one of the few smokers we saw. I saw him light a cigarette at Tengboche. His group went down to Lukla the same day I did. We waited at a suspension bridge for a yak train to pass. 
  
- It was complete coincidence that I an American girl on my flight over to KTM was at the same hotel in Lukla! Her group had a longer trek than I did. We traded stories.  Her group was at Everest Base Camp the day before the avalanche and they saw the ceremony send off for the Sherpas who were caught in the avalanche. 

- At Lobuche and Namche trekmate and I talked to an English girl who we knew to expect to see at the same hotel in Lukla. We had chatted with her a few times. 

- Walking down the street in Lukla I saw a man wearing a green baseball cap with a block "S" but I didn't get a chance to ask about his MSU affiliation.  

Tomorrow I'm booked on a 9am flight but the flight is a crapshoot. Perhaps I will leave on time, delayed the same day, or not at all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment