Sam: This is it.
Frodo: This is what?
Sam: If take one more step, it'll be the farthest away from home I've ever been.
Frodo: Come on Sam. Remember what Bilbo used to say, "It's a dangerous business Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to."

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Day 3: Everest View Hotel lives up to its name

Day 3 
Namche acclimatization day. 
Change in elevation 0 
Elevation 3480

I saw Mt. Everest today. 

It was a hard hike for a hour up 400m but I helped me a lot mentally. I felt like it made the difficult and cold day yesterday worth it. As everyone says, it actually does not look that impressive compared to the other peaks around it. Its top looks actually quite square and looks shorter than the peaks around it. 

 It's common for the EBC itinerary to have an acclimatization day here, meaning to go on a hike to higher elevation and return to Namche for the night. In my itinerary I did not have to take an acclimatization day because we are taking a few extra rest days elsewhere in the trek. But the typical place to go is Everest View Hotel and that is where I went today.  

On the way to and from the hotel I saw several people i had seen before. It was nice to see some familiar faces. The three Danes were down to two on the hike. One was down in bed with a fever. I hope she recovers. It's too early in the trek to get sick. The Australian family was there also and the crying English girl I saw in the line to the bathroom. She seemed much happier. 

After a few days here in the Khumbu (the Everest region) I have gotten a sense of the weather pattern. It is gorgeously clear in the morning. The sky clouds over by 10 or 11am. By noon and afternoon showers or snow flurries are very likely. This means that we must get up early to see the peaks in the morning. 

I feel very fortunate to have seen Everest today when I arrived at the view point at 9am. I descended at 10am and I felt sorry for the people I saw on the way up. They were unlikely to see Everest that day. 

I'm a little sad to leave Namche because it's the last large village with shops. Beyond here are only small villages. But we are staying here again when we return, hopefully after having been to Base Camp and Kala Pattar. 

At the end of the two days in Namche I was tired, cold, and my bed was basically an unpadded wooden plank but I felt right. I felt like I had finally begun the trek to Everest Base Camp. 

Food eaten: 
Breakfast: "pancake" that was about an inch thick with honey and peanut butter. 
Lunch: boiled vegetables (carrot, cauliflower, bok Choy, green beans) and vegetable sandwich (white bread with onion, tomato, a little bit of minced bok Choy) with French fries. 
Dinner: cheese pizza 
Snacks: Nepali tea, a cliffbar I brought from the US 

No comments:

Post a Comment