Sam: This is it.
Frodo: This is what?
Sam: If take one more step, it'll be the farthest away from home I've ever been.
Frodo: Come on Sam. Remember what Bilbo used to say, "It's a dangerous business Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to."

Saturday, April 19, 2014

Day 5 Khumjung-Phortse: The first day I enjoyed trekking

The best part of trekking is the actual part in the morning when we are walking. The walk from Khumjung was the first time since starting the trek that I enjoyed the walk. I took time to look at the mountains rather than  at my feet. 

I feel the happiest in the morning. All my photos are taken in the morning. The views are good and the sunlight warm. I feel like we have a goal and destination. 

The weather is usually clear and it is the only time in the day when the sun is out. Clouds start to build and it's only a matter of time before it starts to snow. On a good day the sun lasts until noon and on a bad day until 10am when we are still on the trail. 

The typical trek itinerary is like this:

6:00 wake up and pack up room
7:00 breakfast and settle room bill. Porter takes our duffle bag and heads off. 
8:00 depart for the trail. 
3-5 hours of walking 
12 noon. Arrive at destination village. Unpack into room.
1 lunch 
Afternoon: try to stay warm
6:00 dinner 
7:15 get ready for bed
8:15 lights off 

No comments:

Post a Comment