Sam: This is it.
Frodo: This is what?
Sam: If take one more step, it'll be the farthest away from home I've ever been.
Frodo: Come on Sam. Remember what Bilbo used to say, "It's a dangerous business Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to."

Saturday, April 19, 2014

Day 6 Phortse-Pangboche: Porter-guide hit-or-miss

Day 6 Phortse-Pangboche
Elevation gain 200m
3800 to 4000m
Porter-guide hit-or-miss

For this trip trek mate and I have hired a porter-guide. He is something between a porter who doesn't help you navigate but Carries your pack and a guide who doesn't carry anything but helps plan your itinerary and accommodations. He has been hit or miss. 

Today was one of his misses because he didn't tell us the correct time it would take to walk from Phortse to Pangboche. He said it would take 1.5 hours. That wasnt the case. This turned out to be a big deal because it messed with my head. For a while i thought we had gone the wrong way. Then I thought that trek mate and I had dramatically slowed down our pace due to the increase in altitude. One of my fears on the trek has been that we'd be slower than the walking times found in the travel guidebooks. The other was the fear of getting Acute Mountain sickness, aka altitude sickness.  

Two hours went by and no village was insight. I was hungry and thirsty. Thankfully I brought more water than I thought I would need for 1.5 hours and a Snickers. It was the best Snickers bar I had ever had. Trek mate took a photo of me with it to commemorate the occasion. 

Finally after three hours we saw the village in the distance. It took us another hour to get there. All in all it was a four-hour walk to Pangboche. So much for our porter-guide's 1.5 hours. 

No comments:

Post a Comment